Some words of reality on the first day back after Christmas.
When you joined us, you had high expectations and if you showed up regularly, they were met and you even raised your expectations from there.
Lots of you are doing INCREDIBLY well and we are eternally thankful for your efforts. You approach the new yer in fine form and can hit the ground running.
What about those who are struggling, can’t get going and those who doesn’t take much to lose their enthusiasm.
To all of you, I must ask you to remind yourself why you started. Many of you started because you were unhappy with your health, and that in itself was making you…………..well unhappy!
The pride you had in your initial achievements wasn’t enough to keep you going because you were easily influenced to give up.
People usually give up because another “story” takes over their lives.
It could be someone in your social circle thought it would be ‘best’ if you quit, after all, that exercise ‘thing’ wasn’t really good for you. You should be like them, watching tv more than ever, eating more fast and processed food than ever, after all, wasn’t this such a ‘fun and happy way to live’? Even though that lifestyle is shown to shorten your life ((Doctors tell us this and all the science backs it up).
It could well be that your initial success was not enough to install new habits. You didn’t stay long enough to make exercise and eating right a WAY OF LIFE. Not enough to make it a natural process, so quitting seemed like such an easy decision to make.
Another story could be that you like following others. Whatever your crowd says, then that is the ‘truth’. Even though you secretly know exercise is good for you and you are pretty good at it, then you had ‘better’ follow the crowd as you don’t want to ‘stand out’ and its easier to have a ‘quiet life’.
If the COURAGE has left your life, your individual personality has disappeared or deeply hidden and the PRIDE you showed when you did so well with us has long been forgotten, then you need to find a way, because people are DEPENDING on you.
They never saw you happier when you were fit. Never saw you carry yourself with so much confidence when you were achieving things with your health. Never saw you give so much leadership to your family when you were fit and strong, and have now seen you weaken due to your lack of outstanding heath.
Harsh words, and you may hate me for saying it, but if you aren’t exercising 3 times a week, then life is drifting away from you, life is not on YOUR terms and life is nowhere as great as it could be.
Don’t tell yourself a life, a story that says the being overweight, unfit, lacking in energy is somehow ok because its NOT and YOU KNOW IT and your life depends on it.
Time to act, you know the truth.
The big start back tomorrow begins at 9am. Here’s what I’m expecting out of each and every one of you.
- You show up 3 times a week. You wont get anywhere if you don’t make it to train. Endless motivational quotes posting every day won’t do a thing for you. You change by showing up full stop.
- We support each other, we move further when we act as a team. You respect the person next to you, and support them when they doubt themselves. We have no ‘cliques’, and we are to HELP each other.
- You need to show GRIT. You will know by now if you have it in you succeed in our gym by doing it the right way, or you are still tempted to take the easy way offered by cowboys in the ‘fitness’ world who are offering you strange “portions”, that suddenly get you in shape in a couple of weeks. We ONLY want hard workers, and those who do it the right way.
- Workout 1 AND 2 are tough, and you need to do BOTH to appreciate what we are trying to achieve. Those who dismiss workout 2 as ‘not necessary’ are the same ones who can’t walk the next day when they eventually do it. These workouts help your running, cycling or whatever you are trying to do. You will pick up far more injuries NOT doing these workouts, you will be stiffer and your body will get run down far quicker. BE HUMBLE, BE PREPARED TO LEARN. I have trained people for endless amounts of years and I can tell you straight that if you are running on hard surfaces every day for long distances, then your body will rebel and give you NOTHING but trouble. Nobody has run more than me, running with at least 8 people a day for 20 something years and I remain PAIN FREE, but UNLESS you do the other stuff we do at the gym, a lifetime of pain is coming your way.
5. Back to point 3 about doing it the right way. We don’t do any ‘shake diets’ or anything faddy that leads to long term MISERY. Anyone peddling their own ‘miracle’ diets to profit from any gym members will be asked to leave PERMANENTLY no doubt.
6. We have had a record amount of new member enquiries over Christmas but every year we only take a tiny percentage of these on. We have worked out how many members we can successfully work with at any one time. We want YOU the long term member as the absolute priority and the sole focus of our attention, you the loyal long term member comes first. If you cannot commit to training with us properly and don’t want the best for your health, or you still want to try every gimmick under the sun, then you need to make way for committed people who will make our team and spirit even stronger.
7. We have a huge amount on food on www.kerimckibbin.co.uk . Don’t pretend to blame your workouts if you are not eating well. Training hard, rest and eating well are your best success strategy, always will be. You have video workouts, eating and motivation all on one site. If you are a paying member, please send an user name and password to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
8. It’s down to you, take full responsibility. We message you, support you, teach you every workout to get the very best out of you, but we can’t achieve incredible things unless you take responsibility for what goes into your mouth, unless you stop making excuses why you can’t make your sessions, unless you stop letting negative people control your life and unless you STOP yourself reaching your true potential.
9. Allow yourself to be great. Accept experienced coaching, accept early morning messaging reminding you to be great, accept a desperate plea from us to be the best you can be. We are not a ‘typical’ gym and we make no apologies on it. We are not deeply in debt like most gyms who rent their machines, we are debt free and own everything. We support you EVERY session, not show you around once and forget about you. We don’t force you on contract like most gyms as our retention is really high and we only want members that are truly onboard with what we are trying to do.
2019, it’s down to you and to show up to accept EVERYTHING we can throw at you to be great.
I have trained a lot of people with a lot money, lots with no money whatsoever, some in terrible health, some in good health, some with huge egos, some very humble.
When this is all stripped away though, all of them when faced with adversity and their health failing, told me they would give anything and everything just to have their health back so they can do even just “normal” things in life again.
Money, ego, possessions, don’t matter a thing when your health is gone and not coming back.
As you get older, you realise that the simple things matter. Good health, family, close friends and the positive impact you can on people around you.
That’s how I wake up every morning ,what can I do today to help as many individuals as I can, thats my burning question immediately when I wake up every day.
People talk about Christmas presents but how many people do you know who would just give anything just to feel good again? Just to be healthy again? Just to breathe normally again? Not to be back and fore to hospital all the time? Just to be out of extreme pain?
Unless this real gift of health is with you, then all the things in life you take for granted are impossible. All the excitement you deep down crave is impossible. The adventures in life you desire are impossible.
I know some of you have deep stories of sadness and are recovering though your exercise and eating well. Many of you have turned impossible situations into great joy and great victories, and you have inspired so many people with your incredible journey.
Christmas is a time of joy for many, but for some of you this is not the case.
We wanted you to know that we support you on your journey of recovery, support you through your hardship and with grit, determination, consistency and effort, we know deep down that you are the next great inspirational story waiting to happen.
All you have to do is keep taking action, the fog will gradually clear and great things will eventually come back into your life again.
My Sunday running with the family up the mountain DOES NOT stop because it’s dark and wet.
It’s our routines that make us what we are.
Giving up this time of year means you give up on your health. You say to yourself that wheezing is just fine with you, because stopping training and eating rubbish will surely invite more difficult breathing in this weather. That can’t be fun.
Giving up right now means you give up on other things in life, because you haven’t got the energy to get up early and go after your ambitions. Simple as that. Those plans “will just have to wait” AGAIN.
We have large numbers at the gym still hitting it hard right now, and we deeply praise them and sincerely appreciate their efforts.
You GET IT.
You get what the connection is between great health, personal achievement and happiness.
Many people who struggle with their health want to turn back the clock when they were 18, and how good they felt. They rue the day they started on blood pressure tablets for example because their didn’t look after themselves enough over a number of years.
Yet they are still not willing to change their lifestyle, so eating rubbish and drinking a few times a week is the “connection” they make with youth, even if it’s half killing them now.
Your habits MAKE YOU or BREAK YOU. We try to stay a very strong team, picking each other up along the way.
As you get older, great health matters far more than spending too much on cosmetic material things that don’t matter, especially this time of year.
Your daily habits will make you rich in health if you practice a few simple things daily, we all have the same choices, some take them, some ignore them but they all have a cost now and in the future.
Look after yourself.